Tuesday, April 13, 2010

let's talk food: a couple of shout-outs to Fresh from Florida Kids and Jamie Oliver

I would like to mention two websites that I have found to be inspirational, one on the state level and the other national.

First for all you Florida residents there is a state-run program called "Fresh from Florida Kids". I don't remember where I heard of it since it was not mentioned to me at the hospital when I had my daughter last year nor at the pediatrician ever since. That being said, if you have small children you can register and they send you a fun box with tons of fun things related to healthy eating, from recipes to a small food mill. The website also has some good information.

Without further ado here is the link to register:
www.freshfromfloridakids.com/participate.htm

Now onto bigger stuff, I have been a fan of Jamie Oliver for about 10 years now. If you are reading this blog you probably know enough about food issues in the U.S. to know that he is trying to start a "Food Revolution" in this country and has a reality show documenting his efforts in West Virginia. Now he just rocks in general and his revolution starts with the issue of how we feed our kids. I will have many posts about such issues including public schools, advertising and restaurant kids' menus.

But back to Jamie Oliver. His website has an online petition. He is planning on going to the U.S. government in an effort to make some changes.

Here is the link to his petition:

www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/petition

Watch the show.
Sign the petition.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment