Friday, April 16, 2010

Food in today's economic climate --- and turkey meatballs

some Philosophy...

In today's economic climate, I see food as interrelated with finances, stress and overall happiness. I guess this is the case always, but particularly when we are really watching our expenses. I know I am not alone in going through some tough times, and I have realized that being in control of well-selected, economical menu choices for me and my family gives me a sense of calm and of empowerment. Generally I have found that the more natural the ingredients are, the better and more economical the meal will be.

During the past year I have found myself in the position of stay-at-home (unemployed)-mom. And as much as I enjoy cooking I am not a great housekeeper and the constant disarray in the house is a huge source of stress for me and something I am trying to control. Of course making a major dinner also makes a major mess. It's funny - the other day I told my 7-year-old that the only time I really clean the kitchen is when I'm about to cook and make it all messy again. I am making an effort to try to do the bulk of the cooking for midweek dinners during the day since I'm home anyway with a napping baby. Worked out well last night.

Some food....

Last night's menu is a good example of yummy and inexpensive - - - classic turkey meatballs, pasta and homemade pizza. I use all ground turkey thigh for the meatballs since it's moister and way cheaper. Also in my household we don't eat a lot of red meat - I don't eat any and therefore don't cook any. Once in a while my husband will make steak for him and the boys, but that's maybe once a month.

Instead of the usual bread crumbs in the meatballs I used a combo of oatmeal and matzah meal (leftover box from passover). Grated onion, grated garlic, ketchup, egg & salt. That's pretty much it for me. I do small-ish meatballs and cook them in a mixture of olive oil, tomato sauce and water in my big oval rachel ray pan. The sauce cooks down and the whole thing is great.

So yesterday I did all that in the afternoon and put it in a glass dish with a cover in the fridge, washed the rest of the stuff and was done with it. Even made the pasta early and had it in a tupperware.

As for the pizza, I bought pizza dough at the supermarket bakery section. Totally fun and the kids had a great time rolling it and putting the sauce and cheese. We made one plain one and one fun one (which meant adding meatballs and ricotta cheese).

All in all a great crowd-pleasing meal. Today I will freeze the leftover meatballs which will make for an even easier dinner for the kids one day in the future.

I know everyone out there has their secrets with meatballs and also maybe some tips on how to manage the stress - - - please comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment