Sunday, May 16, 2010

McDonald's

My oldest son is 7. He is in first grade at a public school in Broward County, Florida.

Not surprisingly, I have many opinions on how the issue of food is treated in this school. Of course the lunches are pretty gross. Candy is used as a prize in the classroom, a concept I really do not support. Every time I have been to the school, the kids are offered only sugary, brightly-colored drinks, never water.

Last week even I was shocked. My son came home and told me that the class had a vote on what to eat at their end-of-the-year party. The winner? McDonald's. ok. I just listened to him. I didn't react. It's like I feel like I live on a planet with a population of one. What is McDonald's doing in the school????? Doesn't anyone else see that this is the epitome of so much that is wrong with this country?

My son was so cute. He said 'mom, I didn't vote for it. And I want you to send me lunch that day because I know it's gross and I don't want to eat it." I told him he can eat it. It's ok.

In over 7 years of being a mom it would be a lie to say I have never fed my children McDonald's. It did happen once. We were stuck at JFK airport in what ended up being a 27 hour flight delay. We went to the food area and I caved. I bought McDonald's. That, however, is the only time that has happened. No McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, nothing, nada, nicht. And I just do not understand how it is that an educator of small children can think it's ok to feed them such garbage AND to associate it with a fun activity.

On a related topic, I think there should be no corporate presence in the schools whatsoever. I know there is no money and these companies give money or proceeds or whatever, but just raise taxes like a civilized society and have the schools be a sanctuary. Don't feed my kids garbage, don't discuss religion, don't send messages favoring certain businesses. Teach them, keep them save and send them back to me. Thank you.

Does anyone agree with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment